Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Southern end





A very cool Flabellina verrucosa. There are five or so species in the genus here in the Bay of Fundy which look almost exactly alike save an extra row of cerata (red tentacles on the back) or the size of the head in relation to the rest of the body.



The large pool where I have one settlement plate. It's about 15ft deep and you can see the giant kelp in the pool.

In the foreground are a pair of Common Eiders, a ubiquitous but pretty bird all over the island. In the background is Gannet Rock light house about 5 or so miles out. The squirrely water in the middle is the confluence of the deep westerly current from the Bay of Fundy and the shallow but fast tidal currents from the Grand Manan archipelago. They meet in this cool v formation off the southern end where they make almost whitewater. Apparently porpoises and dolphins love to hang out here although I have yet to see one. Further off the coast there are banks where the deep currents come ripping from the depths over the bank creating massive standing waves in the middle of the ocean. Damon has suggested an adventure surf company which motors surfers out to the bank and lets them surf the 45 degree water before being picked up - otherwise they would be swept out to sea.

The Herring Gull chicks are beginning to hatch. They look mottled, just like their eggs. Soon they will cease to be cute balls of fluff and become some of the more insufferable denizens of the island.

The Savannah Sparrow crew flushing banded birds at the southern end.
Some pictures from the south end of the island this morning as I went down to take photos of my collection plates. Gulls are getting crankier and crankier. I brought down a 20 gallon fish bin to use as a container to put my plates in as I took pictures. This bin turned out to be a boon when I realized I could invert it over my head as an anti-gull device. Much like how underwater photographers find having a large camera unit between them and large sharks to be more comfortable, having the bin over my head made me feel invincible. My hubris was dashed, however, when a gull pooped at the perfect angle to get on my sweatshirt. I realized later that the bin kept me from getting a face full of gull guano, as happened to our own Ben West when he looked up once. Never look up at gulls.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos Drew. Glad you avoided gull poop on your face! I think we need a photo of you wearing the fish bin as a hat though.

    ReplyDelete