Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunsets and missing equipment







Things are beginning to settle into a pattern now as people get used to the rhythms of the island, be it waking with the birds and observing their tiniest movements or hiking down to the sea at low tide to poke about in the rockweed. It's a beautiful thing to be so focused and observant here without the distractions of the outside world. I'm not saying that living mindfully like this is a stress-free experience - everybody it seems is struggling with their own unique problems - Ben and Jackson are struggling to find the nests of Guillemots and Yellow Warblers just so they can collect data. Liam has changed the focus of his project so many times I've lost track. As for me, I had the joyful experience of finding one of my settlement plates ripped from its moorings and cast out into the sea during an angry squall two days ago, along with a $250 temperature logger. What the ocean giveth, it taketh away tenfold. But living in the present, as it were, allows us to dedicate so much energy to brainstorming and problem solving.

Rewards, however, are just as plentiful as these infuriating circumstances. Two nights ago a gorgeous sunset drew all of us out onto West Beach to watch the gulls wheel around the waning light. I took a few hundred pictures, but realized that few were really getting the beauty of the light. I hope to use photo software when I get home to fully enrich these photos, but for now I'm just going to put the camera away after a few shots and enjoy the experience as it grows and fades.

We also had to say good-bye to our friend Haley from Kenyon two days ago as she heads home. She demanded that I say how much we'll miss her on my blog (which we do a lot!). Hopefully the petrels won't rise in anarchy in your absence.

Today being Sunday has been a respite from research for some of us (although some like me have cranked right on through). Laundry and showers were welcome respites after two days of heavy rain.

Two weeks down. Six to go!

Pray for Fog.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Drew,

    I am an alum of Kent Island (summer of 1995!) and I also did graduate and post doc research on bryozoans (including Membranipora). I am not sure how to give you my email address privately, but I would be happy to give it to you if you want to talk over your research ideas at all. Good luck with your research!

    -Marney Pratt (Bowdoin class of 1997)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marney! I sent you a message with my email attached.

      Delete